4th through 6th Grade Program
Located in Auburn and Yakima, WA
Imagine a city where young consumers rush to the bank to deposit their paychecks, sales managers create merchandise displays, and reporters interview local business leaders to get the most up-to-date stories. Across the way the restaurant prepares for the lunch hour and the Mayor meets with business CEO's to get an understanding of current economic trends in their city. This could be any city in the country, but it is this image that perfectly describes a day at JA BizTown.
JA BizTown is an indoor center that is a mini city with up to 21 public and private businesses. Businesses within the center are sponsored by real local businesses, and display the authentic logo and the actual marketplace appearance of the sponsoring business, bringing the town to life for the students. Before visiting JA BizTown, students complete classrom curriculum where they learn basic economic principles such as free enterprise and business, how to make choices as a consumer, and how to manage their personal bank account. They also participate in job interviews, and learn about their new workplace and the job they will perform. Jobs range from retail sales professionals, accountants, business managers, medical professionals to TV and newspaper reporters. There is even a Mayor in City Hall!
JA BizTown students will:
- Complete 12 core lessons or 10-12 hours of in-class training in preparation for the culminating activity of the training - a one-day hands-on experience where they demonstrate their new skills.
- Enter a mini-city, supported by trained volunteers, where they take full responsibility for roles as proprietors, civic leaders and consumers.
- Operate and patronize businesses such as a newspaper, retail stores, television station, bank, electric company, restaurant, real estate firm, professional offices, governmental offices and others.
- Attempt to fulfill the goal of satisfying their customers, paying-off their business loans AND realizing a profit at the conclusion of the business day.
- Will greatly increase their knowledge of the free enterprise system
In addition to improving test scores, the students learn the concepts of teamwork, leadership, punctuality, customer service and many other skills vital to success in the workplace.
JA BizTown Volunteer Training
Adult volunteers are an integral part of the students' visit to JA BizTown. To help JA BizTown volunteers better understand their role, volunteers are required to attend a 2-hour training session held at the JA World facility. Once your school's visit to JA BizTown has been scheduled, the teacher for your classroom will send home a Volunteer Training Packet, including training session date options. Please RSVP for the training session you wish to attend, as per the instructions received in your Volunteer Training Packet.
JA BizTown has a variety of businesses including:
Auburn JA BizTownAAA Info Center
Delta Dental of Washington
Exotic Metals LLC
First Tech Federal Credit Union
Mariners Team Store
Puget Sound Business Journal
Puget Sound Energy
Yakima JA BizTownAB Washington Beef
Advanced Digital Imaging
Central Washington University
Larson Berg & Associates
Solarity Credit Union
Yakima Regional Medical
For additional information regarding JA BizTown in Auburn, contact Kathy Virnig, JA BizTown Manager, at 206.808.5862 or email@example.com
For additional information regarding JA BizTown in Yakima, contact Richard Perez, JA World Manager/Experiential Programs, at 509.853.1246 or firstname.lastname@example.org